A few months ago I was trolling a local auction site and saw a super-cute dollhouse which I could not resist bidding on for Maya Lily: even though at the time she was just 14 months old and I wouldn't be able to give it to her for ages.
I figured that doing it up and furnishing it would be a great project…and it sure was!
Instead of furnishing it with tiny choking hazards, I have found some more age-appropriate plastic furniture and can’t wait til she is a wee bit older so I can give it to her.
In the process of finding wallpaper and flooring for the Maya House, I became obsessed with some of the amazing miniature creations…and a couple really captured my imagination – like this one
And this too…
And so the journey began:
I scoured online sites and local stores to find the right cabinet and NOTHING was right (or the right price). Then I had an epiphany! I already HAD a cabinet. It was antique and decently built but it had some drawbacks. It wasn’t nearly the right shape or configuration but I figured I could make it work.
It has taken MONTHS and I learned to use SO many tools…and I’ve re-done some of it several times to get it right. I used a drill press for the first time…and a skill saw, …and made lots of use of my dremel, wiggle saw and new scroll saw.
Here’s the side of the cabinet, errrrr, house
I used picture frames for the rectangular windows and I made the frame of the round window from Polymer clay.
Here’s a look from the front. The basement/media room is unfinished still (I am saving up for a really good system!!) I asked Jim for a quote on doing my lighting and he said he was too busy and then came home with some wire and gave me a few instructions.
I learned to solder a while ago, so this last weekend I wired in a whole lot of mini LED lights I brought in from China. And they work!
Mosaic tile detail in front entrance
Downstairs mudroom with golfing and hockey gear
Downstairs washroom – love the retro look! I used a distressed wallpaper and a distressed beveled mirror tile
Parkade with textured grey “concrete” walls and car collection. The middle one and the rolls royce are Avon perfume bottles!
Lounge – still a work in progress
The Kitchen…still also being worked on. I have no stove, sink or dishwasher yet. I epoxied the benches and island countertop and made the lights out of little vials I found at Michaels
I bought the toaster. Made the glasses from the innards of a ballpoint pen and a button
I made the bedside cabinets out of matchboxes
The window frame is a picture frame an d the wallpaper was a gift bag in a past life. The butterfly pictures on the wall are wee pictures I put on metal buttons and expoxied. I printed the rug on cotton and frayed the edges
I also made the filing cabinet out of matchboxes. The “peace time” clock is epoxied onto a button.
Close-up of the butterfly picsDollar store chair for the sewing nook
Miniature books on the bedside table
Master bedroom and bathroom
The Bedroom has a kind of Moroccan theme and has a walk in closet. The bed frame is a chopped up picture frame. I made the bedding out of a beautiful old dupata and the bedside cabinets are made out of matchboxes.
A couple of dangley earrings made a fine chandelier
Another expoxied frame
The attic: complete with obligatory birdcage and rocking horse
Passageway in the attic. The chandeliers are crystal earrings and the candleholders are beads with a piece of wire inserted
That’s it for now…more pics to follow, I’m sure!