My love of “weird” salads is definitely a Kiwi thing.
“WE” don’t think ANY salad is weird. This is one that I love because it’s so quick to make and it has so many great flavours and textures going on in it.
It’s cheap to make too – but expensive in WW points, coming in at 10 because of the olive oil in the dressing. I will use half of that in future, for sure.
Spinach & Blueberry Salad with Lemony Garlic Dressing
- 2 cups Baby spinach leaves
- 1 hard boiled egg
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup almond slivers (toasted)
- 1 cup red pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tspn dijon mustard
- 3 tbspn olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
Ahead of Time
- Toast almonds
- Boil a large egg until it is hard and then run it under cold water
- Julienne the red pepper
- Chop egg into small pieces
- Add spinach, blueberries, red pepper and almonds in the bowl
- Mince garlic and put in a mortar and pestle.
- Add ⅛ tspn salt and grind the garlic into the salt.
- Put mustard into a small jug or bowl
- Transfer the garlic salt to the container and grind some black pepper into the mixture
- Add oil and whisk or beat with a fork until well combined and the dressing starts to thicken
- Gradually add lemon juice – taste frequesntly
- Add dressing to the salad mix and toss
Speaking of weird, here’s a lovely and completely appropriate quote from the amazing Ms Streep who I regard as absolutely perfect [apart from her bad Aussie accent in “Cry in the Dark”]. Otherwise Totally Perfect.